White Water Guide School
3-4, 10-11, 17-18, 24-25 Apr · 1-2, 8-9 May
$250 W/O river experience and 5 trip commitment (Special Pricing for experienced guides)
$500 for no commitment
- Essential whitewater raft guide training
- Train on the Rio Grande River near Taos
- Learn Swiftwater Rescue, First Aid/CPR and Wilderness First Aid
- Elevate your private boating skills & your prospects for volunteering or working as a raft guide with Kirtland ODR
- New skills will also include: whitewater navigation, raft-rigging, camp skills, food prep & equipment care
You need no prior outdoor or river rafting experience to participate in the Kirtland ODR Guide School. You will learn rafting techniques that will be useful throughout your lifetime.
Guide School includes:
- One Day First Aid and CPR Certification
- Two-day Swift Water Rescue Certification
- Eight Days of Whitewater rafting on the the Rio Grande RaceCourse (Class III+)
- Two Days of Kayaking/Paddle Board instruction
- Guide training
- Group Meals on Saturday nights
- Rafts and related river equipment, including paddles, helmet, wetsuit, personal flotation device
- 5 - 6 nights riverside camping along the Rio Grande
- Whitewater navigation, including paddle raft techniques, route selection, maneuvering rafts, boat spacing and river etiquette
- Swiftwater rescue techniques, include swimming in whitewater, hand signals, ropes, knots, anchors, flipped raft scenarios, throw bag technique, shallow water crossings, rescuing and extricating an accident victim from the water, swiftwater rescue team organization
- Special Pricing on Wilderness First Aid
Certifications “à la carte”:
- $50 First Aid and CPR
- $275 Swiftwater Rescue
- $200 Wilderness First Aid
Kirtland ODR guide school is great for:
- Those interested in working/volunteering as a guide with Kirtland ODR.
- Parties interested in guiding their own private river trip(s)
- Anyone interested in learning the basics of whitewater paddle rafting, reading whitewater and river safety
- Anyone who appreciates experiential learning
Course content taught during guide school:
- Basic hydrology
- Maneuvering rafts as a paddle guide
- Various whitewater paddling techniques
- Knot tying
- Raft rigging
- River signals
- How to communicate with a crew
- The basic logistics of a rafting trip
- Camp – setting up, food preparation, minimum impact strategies
- Basic river rescue
- Equipment care and maintenance
- Emergency river procedures
Sign Up open March 18th: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/guideschool
or Call 505-846-3923
Sat & Sun · 24 & 25 Apr · 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
$65 All Base Personnel (Reg) · $50 Active Duty · Ages 12+ (min 90lbs)
Includes guide, all rafting equipment, and snacks. (Wetsuit available upon request)
Join ODR on a classic whitewater experience great and fun for any experience level! The racecourse run is the most popular whitewater rafting and kayaking stretch in the state, with continuous fun for 5 miles. Must be in generally good physical fitness, have the ability to brace yourself inside the raft, and paddle periodically as requested. OAP reserves the right to raise the age limit during extremely high water. Bring: packed lunch, water bottle, a change of clothes, sunscreen, swimsuit or synthetic clothing, and sneakers or strap-on sandals.
Sat · 17 Apr· 9-11 a.m.
$5 Active Duty (R4R) · $20 All Base Personnel (Reg)
Price includes guide, limited transportation available from base (subject to change)
Spend some time celebrating our favorite planet by taking a hike through an amazing ecosystem located in the middle of the city. The Bosque that runs along the Rio Grande is home to porcupines, turtles and hawks that live among the ancient cottonwood and willow trees. Come join us where we learn why water is life and a little about the origins and history of the river. This 1.5 mile hike is rated as easy and is great for young adventurers accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.
Additional Info: Meet at 8:45 a.m. at the Rio Grande Nature Center State Park located 2901 Candelaria Road, NW in Albuquerque. Bring $3 cash for day-use fee or have a valid New Mexico State Parks Pass. United States park passes such as the Golden Eagle Pass are invalid for use. In observance of COVID-19 restrictions, bring your own water, a snack and face mask.
Click Here to Sign Up or Call 505-846-3923
Wed · 7, 14, 21 & 28 Apr
12:30 PM - 1:30 PM
$3 · All Ages
If your goal is to learn everything you can about the game, including why to play, how to play, and where to play disc golf, this is the place for you. Get a basic primer in one session, or use multiple sessions to dive deeper into specific facets of the game (throwing techniques, putting, and the mental side of disc golf). Clinic meets in front of the ODR CORE building.
Sat · 10 Apr
10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
$15 · All Base Personnel (Reg) · Ages 14+
Includes: Entry fee, prizes, water
Disc golf tournament check in is at 9:45AM. 18 holes will be played in “Pods” of 3 or 4. Prizes include ODR resale bags and discs for top 3 competitors and an ODR disc of your choosing if you get a Hole in One/Ace. Please come compete and make new friends!!!!
Tue · 27 Apr · 4:30-7 p.m.
$5 Own Gear, $20 if Renting Gear
Includes $5 for pool and clinic time only (with own gear). $20 if renting ODR gear.
Join Kirtland Outdoor Rec at the indoor pool to learn, or brush up on your whitewater kayak roll skills! An instructor will teach the basics of proper fitting, emergency release, the Eskimo roll technique, and rescue/safety skills. Completion of this class will allow you to rent white water kayaks through Outdoor Recreation.
*Must come to get fitted for gear at least 24 hours before the class.
Tue · 13 Apr · 4:30-7 p.m.
30 min time slots available
$10 (R4R) · $31 (Reg) All Base Personal · Ages 12+
Includes: instruction, scuba gear, and private pool time
Have you always wondered what it’s like to breathe underwater? If you want to try scuba diving, but aren’t quite ready to take the plunge into a certification course, Discover Scuba Diving is for you. No prior experience with scuba diving is necessary, but you need to be in reasonable physical health.
To sign up, call 846-3923
Tue · 20 Apr · 4:30-7 p.m.
$5 ages 13 & under $10 Ages 13+
Includes: Includes instruction and pool time
Come join us! Learn the early art of log rolling while improving balance, building confidence and having a great time! This program is exactly what you are imagining; learning how to run on a log (now synthetic and easier on the feet) just like you imagine early loggers doing. Log Rolling is fun to watch but even better when you try it yourself! You must be able to swim but no prior experience needed and is great for all ages.
Click here to sign up, or call 846-3923
Wed · 21 Apr · 5 - 7:30 p.m.
$15 + Parts · All ages
Includes: Special use to bike shop tools and supplies, individualized help.
Want to work on your road or mountain bike but don’t have space, tools, parts, or knowledge? Bring your own bike to the Black Diamond Bike/Ski Shop. Use our tools and get expert advice. Participants can pay for replacement parts or bring their own.
Tue · 13 Apr · 5 - 8 p.m.
$15 + Parts · Ages 12+
Includes: ski shop tools and supplies, individualized virtual instruction.
Want to work on your skis or snowboard but don’t have tools, parts, or knowledge? Use our tools and get expert advice from our ski techs for basic maintenance.
Outdoor Adventure Programs
8001 Gibson Boulevard SE
Kirtland AFB, NM 87117
Mon-Fri 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Questions? Send us an email or give us a call
(505) 846-1499 (Trip Sign up)
(505) 846-3923 (Program Office)
(505) 235-6798 (Program Cell)
Prices, dates, and times are subject to change.
ODR Programs are open to all base personnel and their family/friends.
Cancellations made two weeks before the program start date will result in a 90% refund or credit.
Cancellations made 2 business days before the program start date will result in a 90% refund or credit if your space is filled. Credits must be used within the expiration date.
Cancellations within 2 business days of the program start date or no shows will not be refunded.
Refunds may be given when a medical emergency or military TDY/PCS orders prohibit participation. A signed doctor’s note or signed orders must be presented in order to receive a refund in these cases. OAP will retain a service fee of 10% of the total price for the activity. OAP will also retain all non-refundable deposits (eg. hotel rooms) if space is not filled.
R4R (Recharge for Resiliency) is the capstone for resilience programming across the Air Force. These programs target specific audiences and provide support for our Airmen and their families.
All Active Duty and their family get R4R prices. This includes the national guard. If you qualify for R4R you and bring one guest at the R4R price.
Civilians and Retirees pay the regular price.